Any Los Angeles premises liability lawyer will know under California law, property owners and tenants are required to exercise reasonable care to ensure their property is safe. They may be held liable when an individual is injured on their property if an unsafe condition caused the injury. While this sounds simple on the surface, the law is very complex and considers a long list factors, including (but not limited to) the following:
- Negligence of the injury victim
- Availability of policies intended to avoid harm
- The status of the visitor, ranging from someone invited to the premises to a trespasser
These cases are typically difficult to prove. Injury victims need highly experienced Los Angeles premises liability attorneys with the specialized resources to investigate the circumstances behind the accident and present an effective case.
Common types of cases
While slip and fall injuries are considered to be the most common type of Los Angeles premises liability accident but a Los Angeles slip and fall lawyer knows many types of injuries can qualify under the law, including those caused by fire hazards, structures that are below standards, chemical exposure, or even dog bites.
The following are just a few examples of verdicts and settlements from California premises liability cases:
- A one million dollar settlement paid by the insurance of a landlord after a mother and son suffered mild irreversible brain damage due to carbon monoxide exposure in their apartment.
- A 95,000 dollar settlement after a victim sustained a fractured wrist during a slip and fall accident at a hotel.
- A 7.4 million dollar verdict due to brain and orthopedic injuries sustained in an elevator accident caused by improper maintenance.
Not all cases go to court
Although it is common for juries to award higher compensation amounts than might be achieved in other ways, these examples show that many premises liability cases can achieve impressive settlements without the stress and expense of a courtroom trial. Los Angeles premises liability lawyer Nicholas R. Allis carefully assesses your case to explore all possible options and the potential results of each. In addition to court cases, you may have the following options:
- Insurance claim: Filing an insurance claim is typically a good option when injuries are relatively minor and do not result in permanent scarring or disability. But, it is important to understand that insurance companies often attempt to make quick offers that do not provide full compensation for your injuries. Once you sign a settlement offer, your claim is closed. Mr. Allis can help injury victims obtain the fullest possible insurance settlement by negotiating on your behalf with the insurance company. Even if you handle the claim on your own, it makes sense to ask him to review any offer you receive before you sign your rights away.
- Out-of-court settlement: In many cases, even relatively severe injuries can receive fair compensation through negotiations with opposing counsel. These negotiations can occur before a case goes to court, or even while a court case is in progress. Do not attempt to handle these negotiations yourself—only a skilled premises liability lawyer can effectively negotiate with other skilled attorneys.
Contact an experienced premises liability lawyer in Los Angeles
Experience, integrity, commitment. Find out how we can help you.
If you have been injured on property as a result of negligent maintenance, contact the Law Offices of Nicholas R. Allis. There is no charge for our services unless we win your case